Here’s the top 10 ways you can tell if it’s time to think about replacing your roof.
1. When looking up at the roof can you see any missing or damaged shingles? Is there excessive algae growth or moss on the roof? Is the flashing bent or torn? These are all obvious signs that your roof needs attention.
2. Does the roof sag? If you stand back and look at the line of your roof the ridge should follow a straight line. If it has a saddle back or sag in the middle, it may mean there’s structural damage to the roof.
3. If you notice dark streaks or other signs of leaks in the attic it means that water is getting in. This is usually due to missing or broken shingles or a broken seal under the flashing along the edge if the roof or around a vent pipe.
4. Is there daylight showing through the roof? Sometimes it may be due to nails working their way out of the roofing materials or it may be something more serious such as missing shingles and sheathing.
5. Look for missing shingles/tiles or damaged flashing around chimneys and vents. Sometimes the caulking material under the flashing dries out and allows water to seep underneath.
6. Check the gutters for pieces of shingles or the sand-like granules that are used as a topcoat. This is usually a sign that the shingles are deteriorating.
7. Are there portions of the roof covered with pine needles and other debris? This build-up can cause areas of the roof to deteriorate.
8. Are there signs of rot or mold along the edge of the roof or along the eves? Water can get under the shingles and travel down to the lowest part of the roof.
9. Have you noticed any blistering of ceiling paint or unusual stains on the wall? Water from a leaky roof can follow beams and get between walls showing up on the interior of your home.
10. How old is your roof? If its 15 years or older, it may be time to have it looked at by a professional.
*Call Middle Creek Roofing today!