One thing you are unable to control is the weather, you can however take precautions to protect your roof from heavy rains and water damage! A leaking roof can be super stressful for homeowners and sometimes you are not even aware that you have a roof leak until it is a bigger problem. It is always better to be proactive when it comes to your roof vs reactive. This article will share some ways that you can help prevent water from getting into your home.
- Make sure that you have gutters installed on your home and they are clean and free from any loose leaves & debris. In the event that your home has no gutters, it might be time to get some installed. Gutters ensure that the water flows away from your home and helps keep water from dripping on the exterior of your home.
- Check all vents. Make sure that your vents are clear from any falling debris so that everything on your roof can ventilate properly. Most vents have guards built in that helps prevent debris from entering, however sometimes birds or rodents can get in there and build nests.
- Check your chimney. Over time the flashing around your chimney can loosen and become weak and brittle causing water to enter your home. Make sure to check the chimney for excessive cracks or loose flashing.
- Clear any loose tree limbs or debris from your roof to ensure that the roofing material does not become damaged or punctured.
- In the event that your roof has begun leaking, call a roofing professional right away so that you can get the leak repaired immediately. The sooner you get the leak repaired, the better!
- Check your attic. Make sure to check the ceiling in your attic to ensure that you do not have any wet spots, mold or stained decking. Call a roofing professional immediately if you have any of those signs of water infiltration.
- Check out the flashing around your skylights to make sure that it is secure. The flashing around a skylight can become weak and loosen over time, much like the flashing around your chimney.
- Make sure to have a roofing professional look over your roof and if you have missing and or loose shingles, get them replaced right away to ensure that the water remains on the outside of your home.
Contact us today at 717.949.2414 to schedule your FREE roof assessment! Middle Creek Roofing is here for all of your roofing & gutter needs to help keep you and your home safe!